Wednesday 19 October 2016

Clash of Kings Preparation

At the end of the Week I'm flying over to England to play in the Clash of Kings 2016 event. This is the largest Kings of War tournament of the year with 80 players and the largest I've ever attended -  I'm expecting the standard of play to be pretty high. I'm really excited and hope I don't get destroyed too badly!


In preparation for the event I have been putting some finishing touches to my Elf Army and I now have exactly 2000 points ready to go.




My list is certainly not optimal, because I have done exactly the same thing I do every time - I pick the units I like from a hobby perspective and I completely ignore in game effectiveness! Here's my list:
  • Archer Horde - Jar of the Four Winds
  • Archer Troop
  • Spearmen Horde
  • Palace Guard Troop
  • Stormwind Regiment - Maccwar's Potion of the Caterpillar
  • Stormwind Regiment - Brew of Haste
  • Silverbreeze Troop - Fire Oil
  • Silverbreeze Troop
  • Bolt Thrower
  • Bolt Thrower
  • Army Standard Bearer
  • Mage - Bane Chant
  • Mage - Bane Chant
  • Prince - Horse - Inspiring Talisman






Last weekend I attended a small tournament here in Berlin in order to try out my new army and I didn't do too badly - Heavy Loss, Close Win, Huge Win, Close Loss.

I finished mid-table, but the main thing was that I learnt a lot about how my list plays and it's strengths and weaknesses. I also learnt that I am far too slow! - The Clash of Kings tournament uses Chess Clocks and each player has 50 minutes for the entire game including deployment. At the weekend we didn't play with clocks, but my game was nearly always the last to finish!


My first game was against Abyssals and I got completely out played. My deployment was pretty poor and he shot me off the table with lots of Firebolts. He went on to win overall, so I suppose in hindsight the loss was not too bad. I'm expecting there to be lots of lists like this at Clash, but I'm still not sure how to deal with it.


In my second game I played a player who is very tactically astute and who usually wins most tournaments he attends. As such, he decided to try a very experimental Night-Stalkers list, but on this occasion it really didn't work out and he ended up finishing last. It was a fun game and I sneaked a close win.

Third game was against Orcs and I have never had so much luck in a game of KoW in my life. Mid-game he rolled the dreaded double-one leaving his large Orc horde open to a rear charge from my Stormwind Cavalry. After that the game was essentially over. Amazingly I didn't lose a single unit and managed to table my opponent by turn 4. I felt pretty bad for him, but he did manage to win his last game, which was nice.

My last game, however, was a different story. I was playing against the Brotherhood for the first time ever and his list was lightning fast and very aggressive. I played pretty poorly, he played well and at the end he still had several large units and all I had were a few heroes. Oh well!


See you all at Clash of Kings, I look forward to meeting you on the bottom tables!

Ghorros.

No comments:

Post a Comment