Saturday 25 June 2016

Why do I like Fantasy Wargaming?


In the late 80's and early 90's Games Workshop and the games they produced were starting to appeal to a generation of kids and early teens. I fall into this generation and my story is similar to many others my age.

One day, when I was about 10 a friend asked if I wanted to visit and play Space Crusade. I had no idea what this was, but decided to give it a go. The game was fun and four of us spent a whole Saturday rolling dice and killing aliens. The thing that appealed to me the most about the game was the miniatures - I loved how small and intricate they were.

A few weeks later my birthday was approaching and my parents asked me what I would like. I said I'd like a board game with miniatures and we all went into town to the toy shop. Once inside I ran over to the game section and assessed the options. Space Crusade was sitting right in the middle, but next to it was a fantasy version called HeroQuest. I looked at the back of both boxes and the range of miniatures they offered and decided that HeroQuest was far more my style. Who could resist a Barbarian, Wizard, Elf and Dwarf fighting against hordes of evil monsters like Orcs and Skeletons?

To this day I still have a very soft spot for HeroQuest as it has been my gateway game into Wargaming not once, but twice! After playing HeroQuest to death with all my friends we started looking at what other miniatures were available and most of my friends decided to buy Space Marines. I, on the other hand, was still taken with Fantasy and decided to build a Dwarf army, as the Dwarf was my favourite HeroQuest character. My Father made a board and some terrain and we played Dwarfs vs High Elves 3rd and 4th Edition Warhammer.


Alas, I grew up and discovered other interests and the Dwarf army was packed away at the back of a cupboard, only to be very sadly sold off at a car boot sale when I went to University.

Warhammer, Dwarfs and fantasy wargaming in general was lost to me for the best part of twenty years, until one day I chanced upon Games Workshop again. A friend of my girlfriend (now wife) was invited round for drinks on a Saturday evening. He asked if we'd be interested in playing some board games and offered to bring a selection along - we agreed. That evening we played a range of games, but mainly Talisman. I played as the Dwarf (spot a pattern?) and was reminded of my miniature gaming past. The following day I accidentally found myself bidding on a near mint version of HeroQuest and thus began my second love affair with fantasy wargaming.

Since returning to Warhammer mid-way through 8th Edition quite a lot has changed. Mainly the death of Fantasy Battle, the beginning of Age of Sigmar and the flourishing of other games such as Kings of War and The 9th Age. Lots of poeple have bemoaned the end of Warhammer, but I believe that we currently find ourselves in a golden period for Fantasy, with more choice than ever before.

Ghorros.

No comments:

Post a Comment